Industry Press / 03.19.21
JCA Arts Marketing Launches New Study Trends in Audience Behavior: Digital Performances in the Growth Phase
March 19, 2021 – JCA Arts Marketing, a division of JCA, the first and largest independent consulting firm dedicated solely to the technical and operational needs of nonprofits, recently released a new study on Trends in Audience Behavior: Digital Performances in the Growth Stage.
The study focuses on digital audience behavior during the second half of the pandemic (October 2020—February 2021), using data from ten performing arts organizations across the U.S. Key findings include:
- Digital audience composition, in terms of new vs. retained buyers, now matches in-person audience composition.
- Holiday shows were among the most successful digital performances.
- Audiences pay, on average, 40% less for digital performances than they do for in-person performances—and new digital audiences pay the least.
- Digital audiences still book their tickets much closer to the performance date than in-person audiences, but the time between purchase and performance is growing.
- 10% of digital audiences add a donation on top of the ticket price, with a median donation of $11.
The new study follows up the first round of research by JCA Arts Marketing, released in October of 2020, which focused on digital audiences in the first six months of the pandemic.
“The work of performing arts organizations in the past year to create reimagined online seasons has been truly Herculean,” said Jamie Alexander, Associate Director of JCA Arts Marketing and co-author of the study. “Our hope is that this study provides insights into the results of those efforts, and will help organizations plan future digital offerings as they approach the resumption of in-person performances.”
The full study can be found here.
JCA: For more than 30 years, JCA has helped more than 2,000 nonprofits leverage their CRM technology, processes, and data. As the first and largest independent consulting firm dedicated solely to the technical and operational needs of nonprofits, JCA helps organizations increase revenue, optimize operations, and build lasting relationships with audiences by improving their relationship with technology. Learn more at jcainc.com.
JCA Arts Marketing, a division of JCA, collaborates with cultural organizations to increase revenue, boost attendance, and grow patron value. JCA Arts Marketing provides consulting and software services to institutions, including: museums, dance companies, opera companies, performing arts centers, symphonies, and theatres. Learn more at jcainc.com/artsmarketing.